One of the most common goals in exercising is that most men and women want exercises to lose belly fat. So, what are the best exercises to lose belly fat for men and women?
When it comes to selecting exercises to lose belly fat, you want to choose smart, efficient exercises that burn massive calories, activate your metabolism, and help build muscle. It is that blend of traits that will ultimately help you erase excess belly fat.
Successful belly fat loss combines not only exercising and a healthy lifestyle but also a clean diet. Start your journey to a healthy and happy lifestyle by finding out the 32 foods that will help you burn belly fat fast.
Visceral fat is a kind of body fat that accumulates in the abdomen throughout the belly area. Unlike subcutaneous fat, the sort of body fat that is deposited just under the skin, visceral fat is stored deeper, under the abdominal muscles, around your abdominal organs like the stomach, liver, and intestines.
Accumulating too much visceral fat can increase your risk of developing some severe health problems. Research shows that visceral fat presents a source risk factor for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other health issues.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are the Exercises to Lose Belly Fat for Men and Women?
- 1.1 1- Walk
- 1.2 2- Hollow Hold
- 1.3 How to Do Hollow Hold:
- 1.4 3- Running
- 1.5 4- Kettlebell Swing
- 1.6 How to do Kettlebell Swing:
- 1.7 5- Burpee
- 1.8 How to Do a Burpee
- 1.9 6- Side Oblique Crunch
- 1.10 How to Do Side Oblique Crunch:
- 1.11 7- Crossbody Mountain Climbers
- 1.12 How to Do Crossbody Mountain Climbers:
- 1.13 8- Side / Lateral Medicine Ball Throw
- 1.14 How to Do Side / Lateral Medicine Ball Throw:
- 1.15 9- Turkish Get-Up
- 1.16 How to do a Turkish get-up:
- 1.17 10- Medicine Ball Burpees
- 1.18 How to do medicine ball burpees:
- 1.19 11- High Knee
- 1.20 How to do High Knee:
- 1.21 12- Medicine Ball V UPS
- 1.22 How to Do Medicine Ball V UPS:
- 1.23 13- Pulse-Ups
- 1.24 How to Do Pulse-Ups:
- 1.25 14- Crunches with Medicine Ball
- 1.26 How to Do Crunches with Medicine Ball:
- 1.27 15- Russian Twist With Medicine Ball
- 1.28 How to do Russian Twist With Medicine Ball:
- 1.29 16- Medicine ball woodchopper
- 1.30 How to do Medicine ball woodchopper:
- 1.31 17- Abdominal Crunches
- 1.32 How to do to Abs Crunches:
- 1.33 18- Bicycle Abdominal Exercise
- 1.34 How to do Bicycle Abdominal Exercise:
- 1.35 19- Jumping Jacks
- 1.36 How to do Jumping Jacks:
- 1.37 20- Elliptical machine
- 1.38 Elliptical Workout Tips and Tricks:
- 1.39 21- The Captain’s chair leg raise
- 1.40 How to Do The Captain’s chair leg raise:
- 1.41 22- Leg Raises
- 1.42 How to Do Leg Raises:
- 1.43 23- Spiderman Plank
- 1.44 How to do Spiderman Plank:
- 1.45 24- Leg Circle Exercises
- 1.46 How to do Leg Circle Exercises:
- 1.47 25- Reverse Crunch
- 1.48 How to Do Reverse Crunch:
- 1.49 26- Plank with hip dips
- 1.50 How to do a plank with hip dips:
- 1.51 27- Plank With Bunny Hop
- 1.52 How to do Plank With Bunny Hop
- 1.53 28- Flutter Kicks
- 1.54 How to do Flutter Kicks:
- 1.55 29- Knees In and Out Exercises
- 1.56 How to do Knees In and Out Exercises:
- 1.57 30- Overhead Medicine Ball Slams
- 1.58 How to Do Overhead Medicine Ball Slams:
- 2 Exercise to Reduce Belly Fat for Female at Home
How Do Know if You Have Too Much Visceral Fat
You can not see or feel visceral fat because it accumulates under the muscle. Therefore, the fastest way to measure if you have too much is by calculating your BMI or body mass index.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) classifies a BMI of 25 to 29.9 as overweight, and 30 and higher is considered obese. In both situations, you are most likely to have a high amount of visceral fat.
Harvard Medical School suggests another way to measure amounts of visceral fat at home: check your waist circumference.
According to Harvard Medical School, you are at significant risk of excess visceral fat if you are a male with a waist circumference of over 40 inches (101.6 cm) or a female with a waist circumference over 35 inches (88.9 cm) or more.
What Are the Exercises to Lose Belly Fat for Men and Women?
Let’s explore the 32 best exercises to lose belly fat for men and women.
Walking is an effective type of exercise that has several benefits. Harvard Health Publishing supports that walking that can
- Help you stay fit
- Enhance cholesterol levels
- Strengthen bones
- Maintain blood pressure in check
- Lift your mood
- Lower your risk for several diseases (diabetes and heart disease, for instance)
Walking is an easy exercise to lose belly fat for men and women.
How to Walk Properly with Good Posture
- Keep your head up and stretch your back
- Hold your shoulders down and back
- Engage your core and rotate your arms
- Move from heel to toe
Dr. Justin Lin, Physical Therapist, and Certified Functional Manual Therapist at Rehab and Revive talks about how the hip, the legs, including the arms correlate to proper walking, and how it can help you walk more efficiently.
See also: Are Fitness Trackers Accurate?
A walk can be a great exercise to lose belly fat for men and women.
Dr. Lin recommends that you should aim to walk about 10,000 steps (roughly 3-4 miles/ 4.83 – 6.5 km) a day to reap the advantages of an active life.
Check out the video below to start your walk at home as an exercise to reduce belly fat and exercise.
2- Hollow Hold
Hollow hold will not only help to strengthen your entire core but also will provide stability when doing other exercises like running, weight lifting, or even taking your groceries. It is among exercises to lose belly fat for men and women.
How to Do Hollow Hold:
- Start first by laying down on your back with your legs straight, and your arms stretched overhead.
- Actively push your lower back into the floor and bring your belly button into your spine.
- Inhale to lift your shoulders, arms, and legs off the floor. Hold your hands and heels as low to the ground as possible, while still pushing your lower back into the floor.
- Try holding for about five to 30 seconds to perform one rep.
Running is not only an exercise to reduce belly fat but also among exercises to get rid of belly fat.
Study shows that running burns more calories than most other kinds of exercise because it requires many different muscles to work hard together.
Check to discover the 10 amazing benefits of Running on your Body – Science Backed
Check out the video below to learn essential running technique tips for proper form.
4- Kettlebell Swing
Kettlebell swing is a very effective type of exercise to lose belly fat for men and women.
How to do Kettlebell Swing:
- Bend at your hips and carry a kettlebell with both hands at arm’s length down in front of you.
- Move back slightly and lift the kettlebell within your legs.
- Then squeeze your glutes, push your hips forward forcefully, and rotate the weight to shoulder height.
- Repeal the movement between your legs.
Burpees are one of the most effective-and crazy-challenging-exercises. This exercise works your core, including your chest, shoulders, lats, triceps, and quads.
It is an excellent exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home as well as part of the type of exercises to lose belly fat for men.
How to Do a Burpee
- Stand up with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and your arms at your sides.
- Push your hips back, turn your knees, and lower your body into a squat.
- Put your hands on the floor directly in front of, and just inside, your feet. Move your weight onto your hands.
- Jump your feet back to carefully land on the balls of your feet in a plank form. Your form should create a straight line from your head to heels. Be careful not to allow your back sag or your butt stick up in the air, as both can prevent you from efficiently working your core.
- Jump your feet back so that they descend just outside of your hands.
- Reach your arms overhead and explosively bounce up into the air.
- Land and quickly lower back into a squat for your next rep.
6- Side Oblique Crunch
Side oblique crunch is an easy exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home as well as exercises to lose belly fat for men.
How to Do Side Oblique Crunch:
- Lie down on your left side.
- Put your legs together and bring your right hand behind your head.
- Stretching from the obliques, bring your elbow up and towards your feet. Be careful to pull yourself with your hand.
- Rest and feel the contraction in your obliques then slowly revert to the starting position.
7- Crossbody Mountain Climbers
Crossbody mountain climbers are excellent for building cardio endurance, core strength, and agility. You work numerous different muscle groups with mountain climbers—it is almost like getting a total-body workout with just one exercise.
It is simple exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home and among exercises to get rid of belly fat.
Crossbody Mountain Climbers are excellent exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home.
How to Do Crossbody Mountain Climbers:
- Start into a traditional high plank position with your wrists directly under your shoulders.
- Hold your core tight, drawing your belly button in toward your spine.
- Push your right knee toward your chest and then bring it back to plank.
- Then, push your left knee toward your chest and bring it back.
- Keep shifting legs and begin to pick up the pace till it feels a little like running in place in a plank form.
- Repeat to alternate sides.
8- Side / Lateral Medicine Ball Throw
This type of exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home and also exercises to get rid of belly fat.
How to Do Side / Lateral Medicine Ball Throw:
- Carrying a Medicine Ball, stand with your right side next to a wall. Move out sideways and away from the wall approximately 5 to 6 feet. Put your feet at shoulder width. Strengthen your core and bend slightly at the knees.
- In one fluid movement, turn your body up and to the side, releasing the medicine ball against the wall. Make sure not to move your feet.
- Grab the medicine ball as it bounces back and returns to the origin position in another smooth, fluid movement. Keep the core engaged throughout the exercise.
9- Turkish Get-Up
Turkish get-up is a highly effective, highly functional workout that exercises your entire body. It helps build shoulder stability, core strength, mobility, and leg drive, and it is seriously useful for blasting belly fat.
Turkish get-up is a great type of exercises to lose belly fat for men and women and also exercise to reduce belly fat for females at home.
How to do a Turkish get-up:
- Grab the kettlebell (you can also use a dumbbell) and put your kettlebell on the floor and rest down so that the weight is sitting next to your right shoulder. Move onto your side into a “fetal” position, and take the kettlebell handle with both hands and pull it so that it is reaching your chest.
- Position your legs so that they each create a 45-degree angle with your body. Then bend your right leg and put your right foot flat on the floor.
- Put your left arm over to your side so that it creates a 45-degree angle with your body, palm down.
- Pivot your left hand so that your fingertips are pointing at a 45-degree angle away from your body. Then push away from the floor with your left hand as you lift your forearm and lock out your elbow. This form is called the T position.
- As you press up from the forearm posture, you may once again naturally let your left shoulder to roll forward. But your goal is to hold it packed, like your right shoulder.
- From the T position, elevate your butt off the floor as you raise your left leg and pull it under you so that your left knee lands where you were previously sitting.
- From the triangle position, you intend to move to a half-kneeling posture.
- It is time to move to a standing posture. But before you do that, first straighten your left leg in the same direction as your right leg by merely turning your left lower leg while holding your left knee on the floor.
- Squeeze your right foot into the floor and stand up, while maintaining your elbow locked and wrist straight.
10- Medicine Ball Burpees
Are you looking for an exercise to reduce belly fat or exercises to lose belly fat for men and women? Try medicine ball burpees.
How to do medicine ball burpees:
- Standing up with your feet shoulder-distance apart, carry a medicine ball with both your hands.
- Spread the ball up overhead, then slam the ball down on the ground as hard as you can, hinging over and resting your butt back as you slam. As you hinge over, bend your knees.
- Put your hands on the ground outside of your feet and jump back into a high plank position.
- Hold your body in a straight line. Then, bounce your feet back towards the outsides of your hands so that you are squatting.
- Pick up the ball and squeeze it overhead, stretching your body and standing tall.
11- High Knee
High Knee is the type of exercise that you can do anywhere and also perfect exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home.
How to do High Knee:
- Stand up straight and put your feet around hip-width apart.
- Put your hands palms down facing the floor, hovering just above your belly button.
- Quickly push your right knee up to meet your right hand, bring the same leg back to the ground immediately and bring the left knee up to meet your left hand.
- As you shift knees, you want to do it with a hopping movement, staying on the balls of your feet the whole workout time.
- Try to make sure you are engaging your abdominal muscles as each knee comes up to meet the hands.
12- Medicine Ball V UPS
Medicine Ball V UPS builds your abs and shoulders and an easy exercise to reduce belly fat for men and women.
How to Do Medicine Ball V UPS:
- Keep the medicine ball in your hands, and lay down on your back with arms straight behind head and legs long.
- Contract abdominals and smoothly press low back into the mat.
- Lift feet and medicine ball straight up over the body.
- Gently lower back to repeat.
Pulse-Ups are excellent exercises to lose belly fat also exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home.
How to Do Pulse-Ups:
- Keep your abs and glutes engaged and lift your legs.
- Rest for a second and then revert to the starting position.
- Hold your abs engaged at all times and lower your hips slowly, to avoid back injuries.
- Inhale in as you lower your hips and exhale out as you lift them.
14- Crunches with Medicine Ball
Add crunches with medicine ball to your list exercises to lose belly fat, they perform miracle in helping to get rid of belly fat.
How to Do Crunches with Medicine Ball:
- Lie down faceup with knees bent, and feet flat on the floor, holding the medicine ball with arms spread overhead.
- Move your head and shoulders off the floor and squeeze abs in.
- Lift the ball overhead and bring it in front of you as you sit up.
- Let the ball fall overhead as you lower back down to the starting position gently.
- Try doing about 8–16 reps.
15- Russian Twist With Medicine Ball
The Russian twist is a kind of workout that works the abdominal muscles by performing a twisting motion on the abdomen. They are popular exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Russian Twist With Medicine Ball:
- Sit with knees flexed and feet flat on the floor, keeping a medicine ball to your chest.
- Bend back slightly at a 45-degree angle to the floor, engaging your core.
- Keep feet flexed with heels lightly touching the floor. Switch to the right, holding the ball at your chest, and turn from your low back.
- Return to the starting position, then turn to the left.
- Try to do 8–16 reps per side.
16- Medicine ball woodchopper
Medicine ball woodchopper targets your Abs and shoulders, which makes them functional exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Medicine ball woodchopper:
- Stand up with feet hip-width apart, and knees slightly flexed, holding a medicine ball with both hands.
- Bring the medicine ball up and to the left on a diagonal, so arms are fully extended.
- In one fluid movement, bring the ball down and across your body to the right, allowing your torso to rotate naturally.
- Bend knees and pivot feet slightly as you lower.
- Finish with the ball about even with your right knee, hips back, and knees bent.
- Go back to your starting position by bringing the ball up and across your body on the same diagonal.
- Do 8–12 reps on this side, then switch sides.
17- Abdominal Crunches
Abdominal crunches are one of the most popular abdominal exercises. They involve the whole abs, but primarily they work the rectus abdominis muscle and also engage the obliques. They help both building six-pack abs and losing belly fat.
How to do to Abs Crunches:
- Lie down on your back. Plant your feet on the floor, hip-width separated.
- Bend your knees and put your arms across your chest. Engage your abs and inhale.
- Exhale and lift your upper body, holding your head and neck relaxed.
- Inhale and return to the starting position.
18- Bicycle Abdominal Exercise
A study from the American Council on Exercise shows that bicycle crunches are the most effective exercise to lose belly fat.
How to do Bicycle Abdominal Exercise:
- Lie down on your back. Flex your knees and put your feet on the floor, hip-width apart. Plant your arms behind your head, facing your elbows outward.
- Strengthen your abs. Lift your knees to 90 degrees and lift your upper body.
- Exhale and rotate your trunk, moving your right elbow and left knee toward each other. Concurrently align your right leg.
- Inhale and return to the beginning position.
- Exhale. Move your left elbow to your right knee and extend your left leg.
19- Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks are an efficient total-body exercise that you can perform almost anywhere. They also involve your abdominal and shoulder muscles. Try jumping jacks as exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Jumping Jacks:
- Flex your knees slightly, and jump into the air.
- As you jump, open your legs to be about shoulder-width distant.
- Lengthen your arms out and over your head.
- Jump back to the starting position.
20- Elliptical machine
Elliptical machine works your full body, increase your endurance, and boost your overall fitness. Since you are moving both your arms and legs, the core muscles will work harder to maintain your body balanced.
Adding the elliptical machine in your fitness routine can help strengthen your heart, lungs, and muscles while increasing your stamina, improving your balance, and burning a lot of calories. They are efficient exercises to lose belly fat.
Elliptical Workout Tips and Tricks:
21- The Captain’s chair leg raise
The captain’s chair or Roman chair is a workout routine available in many gyms. The workout targets the abdominal muscles (rectus abdominis), hip flexors (iliopsoas), and the external obliques. It is not only an exercise to reduce belly fat but also exercises to lose belly fat faster.
How to Do The Captain’s chair leg raise:
- Stand up in the frame with your arms holding on the arms of the chair. Seize on to the handles of the chair, if it has them.
- Double-check that your arm position is firm (you need to be able to lift your body weight from the floor).
- Inhale while you exercise your abdominal muscles to prepare for the leg lift.
- Raise your legs by flexing at the knees. Go no higher than your waist.
- With an engaged core, exhale as you lower your legs in a controlled flow until you are back in the origin position.
- Try aiming for 8 to 10 raises before resting (one set). Do up to 3 sets of 10 raises.
22- Leg Raises
The leg raise is a strength training workout that targets the iliopsoas; they are often used as exercises to lose belly fat.
How to Do Leg Raises:
- Lie down on your back with legs straight and together.
- Hold your legs straight and raise them to the ceiling till your butt comes off the floor.
- Gently lower your legs back down until they are just above the floor. Hold for a moment.
- Lift your legs back up.
23- Spiderman Plank
Spiderman plank is an exercise that primarily targets the obliques, the abs, glutes, and quads. They are practical exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Spiderman Plank:
- Begin in a plank posture with your forearms on the ground and your body perfectly upright.
- Bring your right knee propelling towards your right elbow, next return to the plank posture.
- Repeat by returning your left knee toward your left elbow.
- Shift the sides and try to complete ten reps.
24- Leg Circle Exercises
Leg circle exercises target both the internal and external oblique muscles while switching each leg into a full range circle, and they are efficient exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Leg Circle Exercises:
- Stretch your abdominal muscles in to curve your upper body up off the floor as you breathe. Deepen the abs, bringing your forehead toward your knees.
- Reach your arms over your head, and maintain your legs long as you inhale. Keep your shoulders away from your ears, and your abs pulled in as you reach your arms and legs in opposing directions.
- Try sweeping your arms out to the sides as you exhale, moving around to grasp your shins.
25- Reverse Crunch
Reverse Crunches work almost all of the muscle, with increased emphasis on the lower region. It is a perfect exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home.
How to Do Reverse Crunch:
- Lie on the floor in a basic crunch posture, feet flat, and hands under the head.
- Push lower back into the floor and stretch in the belly button to raise feet off the floor. Flex knees at a 90-degree angle, holding them together.
- Gently lower shoulders, hips, and legs to revert to the origin posture.
- Repeat the move, making sure not to use momentum to power the next rep.
- Concentrate on keeping abs engaged and hands relaxed to avoid pulling on the neck.
26- Plank with hip dips
The plank hip dips is a transformed version of the elbow plank with an added hip rotation, that extra engages your core. This workout strengthens your abs, obliques, and lower back and helps to lose belly fat.
How to do a plank with hip dips:
- From an elbow plank, gently rotate the spine to lower your left hip to just above the floor.
- Lower the right hip toward the floor.
- Try completing as many reps as you can for 20 seconds.
27- Plank With Bunny Hop
Plank with bunny hop is a killer exercise to reduce belly fat. It helps torch calories while toning your abs and arms.
How to do Plank With Bunny Hop
- Start in a plank posture with feet touching.
- Pull your abs in, and jump your feet to the right, bringing your knees toward your right elbow.
- To perform one rep, jump your feet back to plank.
- Repeat on the other side and continue rotating sides for 20 reps total.
28- Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicks sculpture the muscles of your core, particularly the lower rectus abdominal muscles, plus the hip flexors. They are also exercises to get rid of belly fat.
How to do Flutter Kicks:
- Lie down on your back, facing up.
- Put both your hands under your buttocks.
- Hold your lower back on the ground as you elevate the right leg off the ground slightly past hip height, and raise the left leg, so it flutters a few inches off the floor.
- Keep for 2 seconds, then shift the position of the legs, producing a flutter kick motion.
- Try repeating this motion for up to 30 seconds.
29- Knees In and Out Exercises
In and out is an easy exercise to reduce belly fat for female at home.
How to do Knees In and Out Exercises:
- Bring yourself down to the floor, grab onto your shins, think about extension through the arms and legs, and then come back in and tuck.
- If you need support in your neck area keep your fingertips spread wide, elbows out in peripheral vision, nose to knees, reach through with the toes, draw the knees back in.
- Inhale as you lengthen, exhale as you contract.
- If you want to make this into a tick move grab onto your shins.
- Inhale as you lengthen, exhale as you contract.
30- Overhead Medicine Ball Slams
Overhead medicine ball slams build your core and also tests your endurance, making your heart speed up every time you pick the ball up and bring it overhead. They are popular exercises to lose belly fat.
How to Do Overhead Medicine Ball Slams:
- Stand up with feet shoulder-width apart, and knees slightly flexed.
- Squeeze a medicine ball in both hands and elevate it overhead.
- Turn at your hips being careful not to arch your back, and slam the ball on the ground directly in front of you.
- Squat to pick the med ball up and then stand back up.
Exercise to Reduce Belly Fat for Female at Home
31- High-Intensity Interval Training HIIT
A study has shown that High-Intensity Interval Training HIIT burned 25–30% more calories than the other forms of training.
For maximum results, try to perform these exercises to lose belly fat in a High-Intensity Interval Training sets.
Check out this High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) Belly Fat Burner Workout with No Equipment
32- Strength Training
Strength training is essential for maintaining and gaining muscle mass. Aim to incorporate strength training into your weight loss strategy because it may help reduce belly fat.
According to Harvard Health Publishing, strength training is among the 5 of the best exercises you can ever do.
Research involving teenagers with overweight showed that a combination of strength training and aerobic exercise led to the most considerable decrease in visceral fat.
Successfully developing a flat stomach is a matter of burning body fat and building muscle.
The most efficient way to burn body fat is through cardio exercises such as running, walking, kegel exercises, elliptical training, strength training, and HIIT.
With these exercises, along with consuming the 32 foods that burn belly fat fast burning stomach fat and building a six-pack is completely possible, according to studies.