Yoga has tremendous health benefits, including weight loss, relaxation, cardio and circulatory health, balanced metabolism, and protection from injury; however, a bad knee might prevent you from reaping the full benefits of your yoga practice.
You may want to invest in the best yoga mats for bad knees to get the maximum benefits of your yoga practice. The best yoga mats for bad knees cushion your spine and supports your back during yoga. It provides a hygienic barrier against dust and anything else you might pick up from the floor.
They also offer a steady, nonslip surface, so you don’t need to worry about slipping or falling. All yoga mats have different functions, so make sure you know what kind is right.
After reading this article, you can quickly and easily choose the perfect and best yoga mat for bad knees and learn what to look for and avoid when selecting a good one.
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Table of Contents
Why Is It Important To Look For The Best Yoga Mats For Bad Knees?
One factor that influences your yoga practice’s quality rests on your yoga mat choice. Purchasing a suitable yoga mat can give you the power, confidence, and motivation to practice yoga consistently. Even though it is possible to do yoga without any mat, choosing a good yoga that suits you is highly desirable.
With a good yoga mat for bad knees, the possibility of a certain type of accident during your yoga practice can be avoided or prevented. The use of a yoga mat is essential for getting better at yoga and, at the same time, preventing any potential accidents during the practice.
And choosing the right one is crucial, particularly if you are experiencing knee pain. If you have sensitive knees and joints, choosing the right yoga mat can be the difference between having a happy yoga practice and leaving you more hurtful than when you began.
Because most of your yoga practice happens on hardwood floors, which requires you to put excess pressure on your knees, it’s essential that you choose a yoga mat that enhances your experience.
Remember, if you are in pain, you will be unable to concentrate, meditate, and reap all yoga benefits.
Use this article to guide you in choosing the best yoga mat for bad knees, which suits your practice, priorities, lifestyle, values, and budget.
What To Consider When Choosing A Yoga Mat For Your Bad Knees?
There are a few things to remember when purchasing a yoga mat for bad knees. Feeling knee pain while doing yoga means your yoga mat might not suit you. That is why it is necessary to buy a suitable yoga mat that would support your practice and makes it comfortable and pain-free.
When choosing a yoga mat for your bad knees, you must consider thickness, cushion, texture, and stickiness. Let’s discuss in detail what to consider when choosing a good yoga mat for bad knees.
Think of yoga mats as just like bed mattresses. We all have different thickness levels to match our comfort levels. Someone with back pain would prefer a different type of bed mattress.
When choosing the best yoga mat for bad knees, look for a minimum width of 1/8 inch or 3 mm.
A thin Yoga mat is around 1/16-inch (1.59 mm) thick. It is suitable for performing balance poses and provides a secure connection to the floor.
The disadvantage of thin mats is that they offer less cushioned support. Thin mats are perfect if you are traveling; they fold up down, are small, and light; however, they do not provide much cushioning comparatively.
On the other hand, a thick Yoga mat is about 1/4-inch (6.35mm) and is ideal for people with bad knees. They support your back during core work, inversions, and other poses that cause your bones to dig into the floor.
Is Thick Yoga Mat For Bad Knees?
No, a thick yoga mat isn’t bad for the knees. Thicker yoga mats are perfect if you have achy joints. Though it won’t give much balance, it will ease the pressure on your knees.
The thicker your mat is, the heavier it can be and the tougher it to fold. However, it additionally gives more cushioning to your knees.
Thickness is critical when choosing your yoga mat; a minimum level of thickness is necessary to protect your knees from the floor underneath it.
A comfortable yoga mat for bad knees is made of natural rubber, vinyl, or PVC materials, making it soft and durable. Whenever possible, I would always recommend choosing eco-friendly yoga mats.
Your yoga mat’s material is essential, as it would affect the overall enjoyment and comfort level, stickiness, and texture.
The best yoga mat for bad knees must have a soft and smooth surface and feel soft on your skin.
Avoid choosing mats with a poor texture or an uneven pattern.
Yoga mats designated with irregular patterns and ridges may not be the best option for painful knees. These irregular patterns can irritate your joints, so it is better to look for a mat that has a smooth texture and feels soft to the touch.
Yoga mats made of PVC offer the best Stickiness level, which prevents you from slipping and falling while practicing.
Best Yoga Mat For Bad Knees
1- Yoga Cloud – Extra Thick 1″ Exercise Mat with Shoulder Sling – 25mm Non-slip, Moisture-Resistant Foam Cushion for Pilates and Working Out – Ultra Balance & Support for Joint Health, & Physical Therapy
- Suitable for surfaces like wood or stone.
- Perfect for those suffering from bad knees.
- Very thick, well-made, and provides a lot of cushioning for floor exercises (yoga, Pilates, etc.).
- Good yoga mat for bad knees that offer protection for your knees and hips during yoga and stretch exercises.
- It might come with a chemical smell.
2- Everyday Essentials 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High-Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Knee Pad and Carrying Strap, Black
- This yoga mat for bad knees is sturdy, a perfect size, and a great addition to practicing yoga at home and in outdoor activities.
- It is made with durable material and came with a carrier wrap and a knee pad.
- It is comfortable and soft and appears to be a well-made product.
- This mat might also smell.
- It might be more suitable for outdoor activities, not yoga.
3- BalanceFrom BFGY-AP6PP Go Yoga All Purpose Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap, Purple, One Size
- This yoga mat for bad knees is incredibly cushioned if you are looking for something with enough cushioning to pad your bones on a hard floor. This mat will definitely do that because it is very cushiony and soft.
- The padding for this mat is cushy and thick enough to protect your back, knees, and other weight-bearing body parts utilized when exercising.
- This yoga mat might not last for a long time.
Best Yoga Mat For Beginners
4- Manduka PRO Yoga Mat – Premium 6mm Thick Mat, Eco Friendly, Oeko-Tex Certified, Chemical Free, High-Performance Grip, Ultra-Dense Cushioning for Support and Stability in Yoga, Pilates, Gym and Fitness
- This best yoga mat for bad knees is a heavy-duty solid mat and looks tough. The mat is dense and feels extremely firm with all your yoga poses.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees is durable.
- This mat might be slippery.
5- Gaiam Yoga Mat Premium Print Extra Thick Non-Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat for All Types of Yoga, Pilates & Floor Workouts, Sapphire Feather, 6mm
- This mat is well-designed and is a bit thicker than regular mats, which might support your body on wood floors.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees has a gorgeous print on it.
- This mat might not be sticky enough.
6- BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose High-Density Non-Slip Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap, 1/4″, Black
- The mat is good quality for a low price and definitely a worthwhile buy for anyone looking to dip their toes into a yoga practice.
- This yoga mat for bad knees is a perfect affordable mat for a beginner to Intermediate.
- This mat might be thin and unsuitable for people with bad knees.
- It might not be durable.
Best Yoga Mat For Heavy Person
7- TOPLUS Yoga Mat, Body Alignment Line System, Extra Large Eco-Friendly Non-Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat with Carrying Strap, Workout Mat for All Types of Yoga, Pilates, and Floor Exercises
- This yoga mat for bad knees is easy to wipe down and roll up, doesn’t take up space, and is lightweight. You can take it anywhere because it has straps to hold it together.
- This yoga mat is double-layered and has the right thickness to feel very comfortable using it.
- It has a perfect amount of padding for yoga on a hardwood floor.
- It might be difficult to keep it clean.
- It might not be suitable for a hot yoga practice.
8- Liforme Original Yoga Mat – The World’s Best Eco-Friendly, Non-Slip Yoga Mat with The Original & Unique Alignment Marker System – Made with Natural Rubber – Biodegradable Yoga Mat – Green
- This yoga mat for bad knees is perfect for a beginner yogi.
- It is very sturdy and durable.
- It is thick enough to provide comfort and comes with a zippered shoulder bag.
- It might be easily stained
- It might also be slippery after a few months of use.
9- Aurorae Classic/Printed Extra Thick and Long 72″ Premium Eco Safe Yoga Mat with Non Slip Rosin Included
- This yoga mat for bad knees is thick and durable, making doing yoga on hardwood floors much more comfortable.
- It is super sturdy, just the right thickness, and has little to no odor.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees is excellent for length, grip, and cushion.
- This mat might be slippery.
Can You Practice Yoga if You Have Bad Knees?
Yes, it might be safe to practice yoga if you have bad knees. Make sure you discuss this with your physician/Doctor before. According to Harvard, yoga helps lower your risk of falling and may help you regain your balance if you stumble.
A Harvard Health Publishing studies reveal that people practicing yoga use 43% less medical services and save anywhere from $640 to more than $25,000 a year.
Best Yoga Exercises For Bad Knee Pain
Now that you find a suitable yoga mat to start or enhance your practice, use these best yoga exercises to practice at home or while traveling for bad knee pain.
1- Knee Pain Exercises – Physical Therapy For Knee Pain by Jessica Valant Pilates
Jessica, a physical therapist and Pilates teacher for almost 20 years, walks us through a fundamental home workout routine for various knee injuries and pain.
2- Yoga For Knee Pain – Yoga for Post-Knee Surgery
This video is more suitable for individuals suffering from recent knee surgeries/injuries.
It is also a GREAT practice for people with broken wrists/suffering from wrist injuries who cannot practice a traditional yoga pose.
This short routine takes all pressure off the hands and knees.
Picking the right yoga mat is a necessary first step in your yoga practice. Use this article to help you find the best yoga mat for bad knees to have a blissfully happy yoga practice.
Always remember to take care of yourself:
- Stay active and maintain a healthy lifestyle with at-home workouts.
- Practice low-intensity exercises like swimming, walking, and Yoga.
- Regularly practice these 25 best yoga exercises to lose weight faster and look gorgeous [With Videos].
- Consume the right amounts of healthy fruits and vegetables.
Please feel free to share this article to help more people discover how to choose the best yoga mat for bad knees.