Yoga has tremendous health benefits, including weight loss, relaxation, cardio and circulatory health, balanced metabolism, and protection from injury; however, a bad knee might prevent you from reaping the full benefits of your yoga practice.
To get the maximum benefits of your yoga practice, you may want to invest in the best yoga mat for bad knees.
The best yoga mat for bad knees cushions your spine and supports your back during your yoga practice. It provides a hygienic barrier against dust and anything else you might pick up from the floor.
It also offers a steady, non slip surface, so you don’t need to worry about slipping or falling.
All yoga mats have different functions, so make sure you know what kind is right.
After reading this article, you will be able to quickly and easily choose the perfect and best yoga mat for bad knees, learn what to look and avoid when selecting a good yoga mat.
You will also find in this article, the best yoga exercises for bad knee pain with videos to get you started with your yoga practice at home or while traveling.
Disclosure : I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why is it important to look for the best yoga mat for bad knees?
- 2 What To Consider When Choosing A Yoga Mat For Your Bad Knees?
- 3 Thickness
- 4 Is Thick Yoga Mat For Bad Knees?
- 5 Cushion
- 6 Texture
- 7 Stickiness
- 8 Best Yoga Mat For Bad Knees
- 9 Best Yoga Mat For Beginners
- 10 Best Yoga Mat For Heavy Person
- 11 Can You Practice Yoga if You Have Bad Knees?
- 12 Best yoga exercises for bad knee pain
- 13 Knee Pain Exercises – Physical Therapy For Knee Pain by Jessica Valant Pilates
- 14 Yoga For Knee Pain – Yoga for Post Knee Surgery
- 15 Conclusion
Why is it important to look for the best yoga mat for bad knees?
One factor that influences the quality of your yoga practice rests on one thing: your yoga mat choice.
Purchasing a suitable yoga mat can give you the power, confidence, and motivation you need to practice yoga consistently.
Even though it is possible to do yoga without any mat, it is highly desirable to choose a good yoga that suits you.
With a good yoga mat for bad knees, the possibility of a certain type of accident during your yoga practice can be avoided or prevented.
The use of a yoga mat is essential for getting better at yoga and, at the same time, preventing any potential accidents during the practice.
And choosing the right one is crucial, particularly if you are experiencing knee pain.
If you have sensitive knees and joints, choosing the right yoga mat can be the difference between having a happy yoga practice and one that leaves you more hurtful than when you began.
Because most of your yoga practice happens on hardwood floors, which requires you to put excess pressure on your knees, it’s essential that you choose a yoga mat that enhances your experience.
Remember, if you are in pain, you will not be able to concentrate, meditate, and reap all yoga benefits.
Use this article to guide you in choosing the best yoga mat for bad knees, which suits your practice, priorities, lifestyle, values, and budget.
What To Consider When Choosing A Yoga Mat For Your Bad Knees?
There are few things to keep in mind when you decide to purchase a yoga mat for bad knees.
Feeling knees pain while doing yoga means that your yoga mat might not be suitable for you.
That is why it is necessary to buy a suitable yoga mat, which would support your practice and makes it comfortable and pain-free.
When choosing a yoga mat for your bad knees, you need to consider thickness, cushion, texture, and stickiness.
Let’s discuss in detail, what to consider when choosing a good yoga mat for bad knees.
Think of yoga mats as just like bed mattresses. We all have different thickness levels to match our comfort levels. Someone with back pain would prefer a different type of bed mattress, right?
When choosing for the best yoga mat for bad knees, look for a minimum width of 1/8 inch or 3 mm.
A thin Yoga mat is around 1/16-inch (1.59 mm) thick. It is suitable for performing balance poses, and it provides you a secure connection to the floor.
The disadvantage of thin mats is that it offers less cushioned support for you.
Thin mats are perfect if you are traveling; they fold up down small and light; however, they do not provide much cushioning comparatively.
On the other hand, a thick Yoga mat is about 1/4-inch (6.35mm) and ideal for people who suffer from bad knees. They support your back during core work, inversions, and other poses that cause your bones to dig into the floor.
Is Thick Yoga Mat For Bad Knees?
No, a thick yoga mat isn’t bad for knees. Thicker yoga mats are perfect if you have achy joints. Though it won’t give much balance, it will ease the pressure on your knees.
The thicker your mat is, the heavier it can be and the tougher to fold. However, it additionally gives more cushioning to your knees.
Thickness is critical when choosing your yoga mat; a minimum level of thickness is necessary to protect your knees from the floor underneath it.
Comfortable yoga mat for bad knees is made of natural rubber, vinyl, or PVC materials, making it soft and durable. Whenever possible, I would always recommend choosing eco-friendly yoga mats.
Your yoga mat’s material is an essential factor, as it would affect the overall enjoyment and comfort level, stickiness, and texture.
The best yoga mat for bad knees must have a soft and smooth surface and feel soft on your skin.
Try to avoid choosing mats that have a poor texture or an uneven pattern.
Yoga mats that are designated with irregular patterns and ridges may not be the best option for painful knees. These irregular patterns can irritate your joints, so it is better to look for a mat that has a smooth texture and feels soft to touch.
Yoga mats made of PVC offer the best Stickiness level, which prevents you from slipping and falling while practicing.
Best Yoga Mat For Bad Knees
1- Yoga Cloud – Extra Thick 1″ Exercise Mat with Shoulder Sling – 25mm Non-slip, Moisture-Resistant Foam Cushion for Pilates and Working Out – Ultra Balance & Support for Joint Health, & Physical Therapy
- Suitable for surfaces like wood or stone.
- Perfect for those suffering from bad knees.
- Very thick, well-made, and provides a lot of cushioning for floor exercises (yoga, Pilates, etc.).
- Good yoga mat for bad knees that offer protection for your knees and hips during yoga and stretch exercises.
- It might come with chemical smell
2- Everyday Essentials 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High-Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Knee Pad and Carrying Strap, Black
- This yoga mat for bad knees is sturdy and has a perfect size and a great addition to practice yoga at home and outdoor activities.
- It is made with durable material and came with a carrier wrap and a knee pad.
- It is comfortable, soft, and appears to be a well-made product.
- This mat might also smell.
- It might be more suitable for outdoor activities, not yoga.
- This yoga mat for bad knees is incredibly cushioned if you are looking for something with enough cushioning to pad your bones on a hard floor. This mat will definitely do that because it is very cushiony and soft.
- The padding for this mat is cushy and thick enough to protect your back, knees, and other weight-bearing body parts utilized when exercising.
- This yoga mat might not last for a long time.
Best Yoga Mat For Beginners
4- Manduka PRO Yoga Mat – Premium 6mm Thick Mat, Eco Friendly, Oeko-Tex Certified, Chemical Free, High-Performance Grip, Ultra-Dense Cushioning for Support and Stability in Yoga, Pilates, Gym and Fitness
- This best yoga mat for bad knees is a heavy-duty solid mat and looks tough. The mat is dense and feels extremely firm with all your yoga poses.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees is durable mat.
- This mat might be slippery
- This mat is well designed and is a bit thicker than regular mats, which might support your body on wood floors.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees has a gorgeous print on it.
- This mat might not be sticky enough.
- The mat is good quality for a low price, and definitely a worthwhile buy for anyone looking to dip their toes into a yoga practice.
- This yoga mat for bad knees is a perfect affordable mat for a beginner to Intermediate.
- This mat might be thin and not suitable for people suffering from bad knees.
- It might not be durable
Best Yoga Mat For Heavy Person
- This yoga mat for bad knees is easy to wipe down and roll up, doesn’t take up space, and is lightweight. You can take it anywhere because it has straps to hold it together.
- This yoga mat is double-layered and has the right thickness to feel very comfortable using it.
- It has a perfect amount of padding for yoga on a hardwood floor.
- It might be difficult to keep it clean.
- It might not be suitable for a hot yoga practice.
- This yoga mat for bad knees is perfect for a beginner yogi.
- It is very sturdy and durable.
- It is thick enough to provide comfort and comes with a zippered shoulder bag.
- It might be easily stained
- It might also be slippery after a few months of use.
- This yoga mat for bad knees is thick and durable and makes doing yoga on hardwood floors much more comfortable.
- It is super sturdy, just the right thickness, and has little to no odor.
- This thick yoga mat for bad knees is excellent for length, grip, and cushion.
- This mat might be slippery.
Can You Practice Yoga if You Have Bad Knees?
Yes, it might be safe to practice yoga if you have bad knees. Make sure you discuss with your physician/Doctor before.
According to Harvard, yoga helps lower your risk for falling and may help you regain your balance if you stumble.
A Harvard Health Publishing, studies reveal that people who practice yoga use 43% less medical services and save anywhere from $640 to higher than $25,000 a year.
Best yoga exercises for bad knee pain
Now that you find a suitable yoga mat to start or enhance your practice, use these best yoga exercises for bad knee pain to practice at home or while traveling.
Knee Pain Exercises – Physical Therapy For Knee Pain by Jessica Valant Pilates
Jessica, a physical therapist and Pilates teacher for almost 20 years, walks us through a fundamental home workout routine for a variety of knee injuries and pain.
Yoga For Knee Pain – Yoga for Post Knee Surgery
This video is more suitable for individuals suffering from recent knee surgeries/injuries.
It is also a GREAT practice for people with broken wrists/suffering from wrist injuries who cannot practice a traditional yoga pose.
This 20-minute yoga flow takes all pressure off the hands and knees.
Picking the right yoga mat is a necessary first step in your yoga practice.
Use this article to help you find the best yoga mat for bad knees to have a blissfully happy yoga practice.
Always, remember to take care of yourself:
- Stay active and maintain a healthy lifestyle with at-home workouts.
- Practice low-intensity exercises like swimming, walking, and Yoga.
- Regularly practice these 25 best yoga exercises to lose weight faster and look gorgeous [With Videos].
- Consume the right amounts of healthy fruits and vegetables.
Please feel free to share this article to help more people discover how to choose the best yoga mat for bad knees.