Jogging is one of the best ways to lose weight or keep yourself healthy. Whether you do running or jogging both can help in reducing your weight by burning down the extra calories. But some people question whether jogging can help in belly fat or not. In other words, does spot jogging reduce belly fat?
Spot jogging is highly effective and popular as a core workout which will help you to target all the body parts, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Through this intense exercise, you will sweat a lot and lose belly fat easily.
The heart pumps faster which means your body is speeding up all the processes inside. Therefore, you will be able to shred a lot of fat through spot jogging.
Moreover, diet is another important factor here. If you want to reduce your belly fat then you have to eat protein and leave carbs in your diet.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about spot jogging.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Spot Jogging?
- 2 Does Spot Jogging Reduce Belly Fat?
- 3 How To Properly Perform Spot Jogging For Belly Fat
- 4 How Many Calories Can You Burn?
- 5 Does High-Intensity Training Help In Burning Fat After Jogging?
- 6 Is Jogging On Spot Effective?
- 7 How To Make Spot Jogging More Effective?
- 8 Spot Jogging Benefits
- 9 Is Spot Jogging as Good as Regular Jogging?
- 10 Spot Jogging Vs Walking
What Is Spot Jogging?
Spot jogging (also known as stationary jogging or running in place) is mostly a part of a warm-up session, often followed by intense workout training, particularly for soccer players and martial arts practitioners.
Spot Jogging is excellent cardio that will help you burn calories faster and build stamina. More importantly, it is easy to incorporate into your fitness routine.
Additionally, spot jogging is a simple yet effective cardio workout to help you lose weight and stubborn belly fat.
Does Spot Jogging Reduce Belly Fat?
Spot jogging is very effective in burning calories even after you finish working out. The University of Connecticut Health Center ranks spot jogging alongside other high-energy “bursts” of activity, including jumping jacks and jumping rope. The researchers concluded that these types of workouts, particularly strength training, could increase the calories you burn by 75% of your day.
However, spot jogging alone may not be enough to help you lose weight. For maximum results, make sure you clean your diet and adopt a healthy diet with plant-based foods.
Jogging on spot can be effective and it can help you lose kilos. A lot of people do not have a treadmill and they do not want to go outside or have to stay inside due to bad weather. But, that will not stop you from achieving your weight goals.
With spot jogging, you can ensure a fully effective cardio workout that will help you reach your health and fitness goals.
How To Properly Perform Spot Jogging For Belly Fat
- Start in standing pose with your feet shoulder-width apart and hand by your side.
- Make sure you warm up before a workout to increase your heart rate gradually, according to American Council on Exercise (ACE) Fitness.
- Engage your core, raise your feet only an inch or two (2.54 or 5.08 cm) off the ground, jumping from foot to foot.
- Keep simultaneously raising your left foot and right arm and making sure you keep your spinal neutral and straight
- Move your arms as you jog on the spot. Ensure you alternate periods of intensity with periods of recovery. It can be challenging to maintain high-intensity phases for a long time, but alternating between high intensity and recovery will help you enjoy and sustain your workouts.
- Ensure you pace your breathing!
- Pull your shoulders back, chest up, and keep your abs tight for maximum results.
- Make sure you gently and softly land on the balls of your feet.
- To increase intensity you can incorporate jumping jacks and butt kicks.
- Muscles worked: hamstrings, glutes, quads, and calves.
How Many Calories Can You Burn?
Spot jogging is an excellent workout that helps you burn between 413 to 604 calories depending on the intensity of your workouts and your weight, according to the State of Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
You have to make sure that you are doing this workout with full exercise so your heart can pump faster. If you are a beginner and get tired in the middle then that is okay. As you will develop the stamina in some time and it won’t be that difficult.
Let’s take an example where if you weigh 70 kilos then you can burn 463 calories in an hour. So, try to do spot jogging every day to get great results and achieve your weight goal.
Calories Burned in 60-minute of Spot Jogging
|Activity||130-pound ( 58.97 kg) person||155-pound (70.31 kg) person||190-pound (86.19kg) person|
|Jogging in Place||413 calories||493 calories||604 calories|
Does High-Intensity Training Help In Burning Fat After Jogging?
All exercises can help you lose weight but some of them can create the aftereffect of post-workout fat burning. Do you know that high-intensity training that includes running or spot jogging can burn fat for 48 hours?
Not a lot of people might know about it, it is called the afterburn effect. You have to take a healthy and nutritional diet to provide the body with energy. As you will be requiring the energy for burning fat and keeping your strength for the next workout.
Some studies have reflected in the past that the aftereffect can be highly beneficial if you are doing everything right. If you have burned 500 calories then you might be able to burn 100 or more in the resting time.
You can also get the same results with long-distance running if you do not want to try spot jogging. Also, a lot of people do not know about this that high-intensity training can suppress your appetite, and you might not crave your favored foods.
For example, a lot of people cannot live without carbs including pasta or pizza. If you are doing spot jogging for half an hour even, you will feel tremendous changes in your appetite. The things that you were craving for will not bother you so much and you will feel great.
Is Jogging On Spot Effective?
Spot jogging is very effective. Even though you are at the same place, your body has movement. Spot jogging will help to increase the pumping of your heart. It means you will be breathing and feel like your muscles are tired.
Some people might even feel pain in their legs for a while. It is only because of the rigorous training that it targets all the muscles of your body. You will be sweating a lot and the fats in your body will keep on burning.
How To Make Spot Jogging More Effective?
To make Spot Jogging more effective, design a workout schedule and stick to it. The more often you perform your spot jogging routine, the more calories you will burn and the more weight you will lose.
In addition, you can combine spot jogging with other types of activities for maximum results. Combining spot jogging with other workouts will help get your required weekly 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous exercise per week to help you lose weight or 150 to 300 minutes of moderate cardio exercise to maintain your weight as recommended by the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
Sample Workouts to Incorporate For more effective Spot Jogging:
- Yoga (If you decide to do yoga make sure you know how long you can hold yoga poses)
- Swimming (check 10 different types of swimming strokes and the benefits of each)
- Rowing (see: Rowing vs. swimming: Which one is best for you?
- Running even short distance
- Clean diet
- Rest and recovery (they are as important as working out)
Spot Jogging Benefits
- Work out anywhere at any time: One of the main reasons most people don’t reach their fitness goals is lack of time. After a long and busy day of work, walking or driving to a gym may be challenging. In contrast, spot jogging at the comfort of your home does not require any additional driving. As soon as you get home, change your clothes and get your daily dose of physical activity.
- With this aerobic exercise, you will be increasing the movement of your muscles which means you will have better flexibility and strength.
- Spot jogging can help you prevent chronic disease: You can reap all the fantastic health benefits of running with spot jogging. And you get your required 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends.
- You will be able to build muscle endurance over time if you do spot jogging daily.
- Spot jogging build muscles: Jogging in place works calves, hamstrings, quads, and glutes. Spot jogging combined with holding light-weight dumbbells can also improve endurance and strength.
- Try to stay in one place by using a carpet to ensure proper flow in jogging.
- Spot jogging does not target your knees like in running and you will not feel a lot of pain.
- Perfect exercise for beginners as they can build up their strength by keeping up with a less pace.
- It helps to improve sugar levels in the blood by increasing the blood pumping of the heart.
- You will be able to do all sorts of core training workouts after that. For better results, including:
- Helps to reduce weight fastly with proper results.
- Spot jogging saves time, and you don’t have to worry about the weather, treadmill, driving, or walking to the gym, and it doesn’t require a lot of space.
- Wear a fitness tracker to check your heart rate as you exercise to make sure that you are working out hard enough to help you lose weight.
- You can make spot jogging fun by listening to your favourite podcast, audiobooks or even watching your favorite TV programs.
Is Spot Jogging as Good as Regular Jogging?
Spot jogging is not as effective as regular jogging because spot jogging burns fewer calories than regular jogging and might put stress on your feet. It is a good workout but for best results, ensure you raise your knees as high as possible and swing your hands properly. Like regular jogging, it is es to learn the proper form of spot jogging.
Spot Jogging Vs Walking
They both are great for working out and losing weight. Moreover, they are healthy for the human body and help in strengthening your muscles. The main difference here is the intensity of the workouts.
Walking is a less intense exercise or training that one can do. Of course, there is no denying that there are a lot of health benefits of walking. But, if you are looking for amazing results for losing your belly fat then spot jogging is never going to fail you.
There are thousands of people out there who might have tried it and loved it. When you have a great practice with spot training then you can try adding some other workouts in it for better results.
People with knee problems or someone who wants to increase strength in their body can stick to walking. As you will still be enjoying the benefits that come with it but not be able to shred your belly fat as fast as you can with spot jogging.
Overall, spot jogging is an excellent workout to keep yourself active and stay, particularly in times when you can’t go outside for jogging.
Even light cardio workouts, including walking or spot jogging, help you burn calories, which will increase your overall deficit for the day and help you lose weight and burn fat.