Table of Contents
Common Causes of Skin Crepe
- Repeated muscle movements – Repeated muscle patterns can cause wrinkles and fine lines that develop around your mouth, eyes, knees, hands, and elbows. And, anywhere, skin is continuously stretched and pulled.
- Exposure to the sun – The most common cause of crepey skin is ultraviolet (UV) radiation (sun damage). The American Association of Dermatology states that exposure to UV radiation is the most preventable cause of early skin damage.
- The effects of aging – Depending on where you live and how much time you spend in the sun, crepey skin can also start appearing as early as your 20s. But most of us begin to notice crepey skin when we enter our 40s.
- Weight gain or weight loss – If you lost or gained weight (typically 5 pounds up, 5 pounds down ), then you might see crepey skin earlier than others.
Other causes of crepey skin include:
- Gaining and losing significant amounts of weight
- Cigarette smoke
- Poor diet
- Sleep deprivation
Can Exercise Reverse Crepey Skin?
Proper exercise combined with a clean diet (with a lot of Vitamin C) and skin care can help reverse crepey skin. In addition, exercises such as walking, running, yoga and Pilates, and weight training are excellent in helping you tone muscles, giving you an overall tighter, toned, and lifted appearance.
For any exercise program to work:
- You need to clean your diet and ensure that you get at least 3-4 fresh vegetable and fruit servings per day.
- Drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of fluid a day, tea for weight loss, green smoothies help firm your skin and make you appear youthful and energetic.
- Proper care because with proper care, your skin’s elastic fibers can repair themselves.
Higher water consumption might positively impact natural skin physiology, found a study issued by Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology.
See also: The Best 10 Teas For Weight Loss
How To Get Rid Of Crepey Skin With Weight Training
Weight training can help develop your muscles, which can help fill out areas of loose skin and crepey skin. Here are the 10 best workouts to get rid of crepey skin:
- Weight training exercises for crepey skin on legs
- Workouts that can reduce the appearance of crepey upper arm skin
Weight Training Exercises For Crepey Skin on Legs
1- Reverse Lunges
See also: Why Do You Resistance Bands? A definite answer!
How to Do Reverse Lunges:
- While holding dumbbells, stand with your feet together and arms by your sides.
- Take a wide step back with your left foot and lower into a lunge, flexing both knees about 90 degrees with your right thigh parallel to the floor.
- Maintain your torso straight. Step your left foot forward, and return to standing with both feet together.
- Perform 20 alternating reps.
2- Sumo Squat
How To Do Sumo Squat:
- Stand tall with your feet wide.
- Gently turn your toes and knees out slightly (around 45 degrees.)
- Flex your knees out over your toes.
- Push your hips back while lowering your torso toward the floor as your arms reach down to the ground.
- Return to your starting position
- Perform 20 reps.
3- Farmer’s Walk
How To Do Farmer’s Walk:
- Stand with your feet together.
- Draw your abs tight and hold a dumbbell in each of your hands.
- Take up to 20 steps forward and ensure that you maintain a good posture.
4- Side Lunges
How To Do Side Lunges:
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with your hands on your hips.
- Take a giant step forward with your right leg.
- With your left leg remaining in the starting spot, bend both your knees and slowly and gently lower your body until your knees form about 90° angle,
- Keep your right thigh parallel to the floor and your left knee closely touching the ground.
- Return to the standing position by stretching your right knee.
How To Do Deadlift:
- Stand with your feet hip-width and your knees slightly bent.
- Hold dumbbells in front of your thighs with your palms facing your body.
- Maintaining your spine naturally straight, hinge forward from hips, reaching dumbbells toward the floor.
- Avoid going lower than shin level to keep a flat back.
- Return to start. Do 20 reps.
Exercises That Can Reduce the Appearance of Crepey Upper Arm Skin
See also: How Many Push-Ups Per Day for You To See Results
How to do a push-up:
- Start in a push-up position on your toes.
- Align the body with your head and your hands under the shoulders.
- Bend your elbows and lower body closer to the floor
- Keep the body straight at all times; squeeze the buttocks and tighten the core.
7- Tricep dips
See also: Benefits of Doing Dips Every day (and Everything You Need to Know About Dip Exercises)
How to do Tricep Dips:
- On a bench or chair, slowly and gently glide the buttock off the bench while stretching the legs out in front.
- Keep your arms straight while holding the chair or bench and your hands apart at shoulder width.
- Gently lower your body and bend the elbows to make a 90-degree angle while keeping the back close to the chair or bench.
- When the body reaches the floor, straighten the arms and return to the start position.
8- Inchworm Walkout
How To Do Inchworm Walkout:
- Start standing position.
- Bend over and slowly and gently “walk” your hands forward until you are in a plank position.
- Ensure that your body is in a straight position from head to feet and your hips are not sagging.
- Walk back to the origin position to complete one rep.
- Do 5 reps total.
9- Tricep kickbacks
How to Do Tricep Kickbacks:
- Hold a dumbbell in each of your hands.
- Maintain our back straight and the palms facing the body.
- Bend your knees a little and turn the torso forward at the waist. With your head up, the torso will be parallel to the floor.
- Keep your forearms toward the floor at a 90-degree angle with the upper arm.
- Hold your upper arms, lift the weights with the triceps and the arms fully extended.
- Rest, then lower back.
10- Arm Workouts for Sagging and crepey skin
Other Ways To Help Crepey Skin
Massage the area
Massaging crepey skin can increase blood flow and help stimulate an anti-aging response. A 2017 study analyzed the effects of skin massage in combination with an anti-aging skin cream.
The research revealed that regular massage with a hand-operated oscillating massage tool increased the positive results of the cream.
See also: Crossfit Vs Gym: Advantages and Disadvantages
Crepey skin can be an issue for all of us as we age, but there are various ways to minimize or reduce it. And weight training is one of the best and natural ways to help crepey skin.
Here are a few actions you should take to prevent developing loose skin :
- Develop a regular habit to keep yourself fit and healthy.
- Adopt a clean and healthy diet
- Smoking cigarettes
- Avoid skin products with harsh chemicals