Wrapping your belly in a Saran wrap to decrease belly fat isn’t a new concept. People have already been wrapping it around their stomachs and applying herbs or patches to decrease belly fat for years. But does Saran wrapping your stomach while working out help you lose fat?
There is no scientific evidence that Saran wrapping your stomach while working out will help you lose fat. The science behind it is murky at best, but the notion is that you ‘sweat out’ the fat by wrapping the plastic around the problematic area.
The use of a wrap, according to proponents, enhances blood flow and limits body heat to a specific area of the stomach. As a result, fat tissues are consumed. Unfortunately, there isn’t any evidence to support these statements. Current research indicates that spot reduction is impossible. You can’t pinpoint where you want to decrease weight.
When people use Saran or plastic wraps, they may have adverse effects. Read on to find out more. You might also enjoy reading: How To Successfully Get Rid Of Crepey Skin With Weight Training
Table of Contents
What Does Wrapping Your Stomach In Plastic Wrap Do?
Wrapping a plastic wrap over your stomach has the following risks:
- It may cause dehydration.
- Body wraps, like waist trimmers, promote excessive sweating.
- The lack of water isn’t the only thing to be concerned about. Sweat clings to the plastic, potentially raising your body temperature to dangerous levels.
- Furthermore, excessive fluid loss lowers your blood volume. As a result, the amount of oxygen delivered to your cells is reduced.
- Dizziness, weakness, and headaches result from a lack of oxygen. Severe dehydration might result in a coma and even death if such plastic wrap is left on for too long.
Let’s check other effects of saran wrap on your stomach while you are working out.
Cons Of Wrapping Saran Wrap Around Your Stomach
Like anything in life, wrapping saran wrap around your stomach has a few disadvantages:
1- Exposure to Harmful Substances
Plastic wraps not only raise the danger of dehydration but also expose you to toxic chemicals. Polyvinyl chloride is used to make Saran wrap. The spleen, liver, kidneys, and bones can all be severely harmed by PVC. It is also a recognized carcinogen, meaning it has the potential to cause cancer.
Furthermore, whatever you use to deliver the ‘cold heat’ to the area may have an impact on you. Wintergreen, which may be found in menthol patches, is a wonderful pain reliever when used in tiny doses. When used for an extended period, however, it can become hazardous.
2- Temporary weight loss
The weight you lose as a result of utilizing plastic wrap is merely water weight. This is because the wraps induce you to sweat excessively. If you drink enough water, you will restore all of your lost weight. The difficulty of recovering weight might lead to binge eating and weight increase.
Avoid ‘tricks’ that claim to help you lose weight without exerting any effort. They will almost always make you heavier than you were before.
3- Increased risk of Alzheimer
Aluminum can be found in some plastic coverings. This metal compound has been related to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a potential cause of Alzheimer’s disease. However, according to the Alzheimer’s Association, aluminum is not a cause of Alzheimer’s.
4- It May Burn Your Skin
After covering your tummy, you may feel a burning feeling. Some people believe it is because the wrap is effective as well as you’re losing weight. However, it may be due to the skin type or your medical history.
5- Stomach Problems
Gastrointestinal difficulties have been reported by a large number of users who have tried the remedy.
After utilizing the plastic wrap with herbs, vapor rub, or menthol patches, some people have reported experiencing diarrhea and vomiting.
6- It Can Affect The Weight Loss Journey
When you use plastic wraps to lose weight, it’s difficult to keep track of your progress. The majority of the time, you would lose water weight and mistake it for body fat.
Because you won’t be able to monitor your weight reduction properly, this may have an impact on the weight loss journey. This can lead to losing motivation and giving up on your weight loss journey.
Does Saran Wrap Work As A Waist Trainer?
There are no shortcuts to losing weight. Plastic wraps over your tummy will not help you lose belly fat. To lose weight and keep it off, you must adjust your diet and exercise for at least thirty minutes each day.
Saran or plastic wraps are only useful for athletes that need to lose weight quickly before a fight, such as boxers. They must, however, be careful to avoid burning or dehydration.
Custom wraps could be safer than menthol patches on plastic wraps. They are utilized to help with anxiety, detoxification, and immune building.
Can You Wear Saran Wrap While Working Out?
It’s worth mentioning that none of the following advantages are scientifically proven. As a result, avoid using Saran or plastic wrapping. Instead, employ fat-loss tactics that have been demonstrated to work.
I suggest you stick to the old-fashioned way of losing fat which includes a clean and healthy diet and physical exercise.
Techniques to Help You Get a Flat Stomach:
- Add cardio (running, biking, swimming, or rowing)
- Move more (strength training)
- Drink enough fluids ( green smoothies)
- Work the core (push ups, pull ups, and chin ups)
- Limit refined carbs (18 Veggies Proven To Destroy Stomach Fat)
- Eat more fiber
- Do exercises when you are standing, not sitting
- Increase protein intake.
- Add resistance bands workouts.
- Eat more of the monounsaturated fatty acids (32 Foods Proven To Burn Belly Fat Fast)
- Swap out the high-calorie drinks
- Get enough sleep.
- Reduce your stress (practice meditation and yoga).
- Track your activity and food intake with fitness trackers.
- Walk for at least 30 minutes a day (as recommended by the CDC).
- Eat more slowly
- Identify food sensitivities
- Try a high-intensity interval training
Things You Should Consider Before Trying Saran Wrap
Here are a few things you should consider if you plan to try Saran wrap.
- There’s no scientific evidence that a saran wrap will help you reach your weight loss goals.
- The weight loss resulting from wearing saran wrap might be mainly due to water loss. As soon as you eat and drink water, the number on the scale will go right back up.
- Check if the materials used in the wrap are safe to use.
- When wearing, you might experience some unpleasant side effects from the compression; after wrapping the wrap around your body tightly.
- There is a risk of dehydration since body wraps work to increase your internal core temperature. Do not forget to drink enough fluids, including water, tea, or a healthy green smoothie.
- A proper diet and adequate exercise is the only scientifically proven way to lose weight.
Saran wrap might make your skin feel smooth and soft, but the chances of successfully losing weight aren’t scientifically proven.
The only scientifically proven way to safely lose weight is a proper and clean diet and sufficient exercise, including yoga, strength training, martial arts, and biking.